Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Overly Bossy Signs - Vol. I

The world is filled with rules and directions, even in places where they are completely unnecessary. Everywhere you look there are signs saying "go here", "don't go there", "use this bathroom", "don't carry explosives in here" and all sorts of other nonsense. I think it's fun to mock stupid instructions. Let's start here, taking the below instance for example:


Why must this sign be placed at the edge of the table? Servers have been using these signs to identify tables and their corresponding orders for decades, are they only effective in a certain position at the edge of an eating surface? I decided to test the validity of this instruction; to challenge the "status quo" by placing this sign in the exact CENTER of our table. Observe below image:



Yes, this may be a risky gamble if you're hungry and need a guarantee that your server won't get confused. But I was feeling a sense of adventure that morning. I'm happy to report that our food arrived without incident. Feel free to experiment with disobeying overly bossy signs on your own and please post your comments here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed recently that a condom wrapper instructed me to apply the condom BEFORE having sex. I decided that this seemed totally ridiculous, so I put that condom on after I finished! That will teach them a lesson about unnecessary instructions.

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.